PALEO CHALLENGE RULES
Dates: November 10th – February 10th
Entry Fee: $30
This is not a weight loss competition. This challenge is a way to better health and a longer happier life.
Before and After:
Pictures: Front and back view
Measurements: Body weight, waist circumference, and body fat
Performance: CrossFit WOD: “Jackie”
1. Eat Real Food.
2. Maintain a food log
3. Record you daily scores on the ECC Paleo Board
Eat Meat and Vegetables, Some Nuts and Fruit, Little Starch, and…
NO PROCESSED FOODS
This is not a weight loss challenge – it is a challenge to better our health and wellness, through eating only the best foods out there.
Will we see a loss of body fat during this challenge? Absolutely!
However that is simply a result of becoming healthier, by eating the way food was meant to be consumed… in it’s natural, unaltered state.
Real food grows in the wild – the way nature intended. “Food-stuffs” are man-made creations that may resemble food, but are truly not. We’re dropping that from our diets.
If you can’t hunt or gather it in the wild, it’s not something you should be eating.
(You won’t find a box of Chex Mix growing from a tree)
Perfect day of eating. No cheats.
One minor slip. Milk in the coffee, condiments (salad dressing, mayo, bbq sauce, ketchup, etc), a tortilla chip, a Cheerio.
Significant slip, but not an entire meal: One glass of wine or beer, finished your kid’s Mac ’N Cheese, piece of bread at dinner.
Major slip. Pizza or pasta for dinner, 2 beers at a game, ice cream.
More than one solid cheat throughout the day. 2+ meals lost.
There is a chance for up to (3) Bonus Points per Day
• A CrossFit class at ECC
• 8+ hours of sleep every night
• 64oz of water
For this challenge, follow the Golden Rule above – Eat Meat and Veg…etc.
It’s truly as simple as that.
That will categorize 99% of foods to be Paleo or not.
For that 1%, the “Grey Area”, here’s our challenge-specific rules:
Say NO to:
• All flours. Almond flour, coconut flour
• All sweeteners… honey, agave nectar, stevia, coconut sugar, cocao
• Dairy… cream in the coffee, cheeses, yogurt
• Corn and corn products
• Unnaturally processed condiments, dressings, sauces, marinades, or spices (read the labels)
• Dried Fruit
• White Potato, Rice, Quinoa
• Legumes (Peanuts, Beans, Soy)
• Canola, vegetable, soybean, grapeseed oils
• All protein bars. Quest Bars, Kaleo Cookies, Lara Bars
• Juicing fruit (blending is OK – fiber + vitamins are lost when juicing)
• All sport supplements that are not directly before, during, or after training
• Whey protein, Fuel for Fire, Ultima, Kill Cliff… *See below for more details.
Commonly asked, and are OK:
• Deli Meats (as long as there isn’t sugar added)
• Sweet Potato (but not restaurant sweet potato fries… it can get ugly)
• Balsamic Vinegar (“Vinaigrettes” commonly have added sugars). Look into “Tessamae’s” dressings!
• Coconut, olive, avocado, and nut oils
• Coconut milk, almond milk
• Grass-Fed butter, Ghee, Nutritional Yeast, Baking Soda/Powder, Salt
• Green Beans and Peas
• Coffee (black) and Tea (unsweetened), Seltzer Water
• Chicken and Beef broth/stock
• Mustards and Hot Sauces made with natural ingredients (check labels for sugars, unhealthy oils). Franks Red Hot is a go.
“ Can you explain the Post-Workout deal? ”
We encourage proper pre and post-workout nutrition! We are going to classify pre and post to be within 45 minutes of your workout. If taken outside that window, they will be points off your daily total. Whey protein (to include Fuel for Fire), Ultima, BCAA’s, Creatine, Kill Cliff. This window applies to any workout, whether at ECC or not.
“ What about going out to dinner? ”
It is not our goal to become anti-social cave-dwellers! Still go out and enjoy – just be selective with your orders. Every restaurant out there will have options for some sort of meat/seafood as the main course. Start with that, and ask for extra veggies for the sides. Good to go, and is in the clear for the challenge!
“ Can you explain the Bonus Points? ”
There is a chance for up to three bonus points per day, on top of the original four.
- A CrossFit class at ECC. We love seeing our athletes come to the gym and encourage routine class attendance. Has to be at ECC, and has to be a class!
- 64+ ounces of water a day. Coffee or juices don’t count – has to be pure water.
- 8+ hours of sleep every 24. This is time asleep, to include naps during the day. If you get up in the middle of the night for a few hours, those don’t count.
http://contemporarycavegirl.wordpress.com (Jen Lawrence’s site)
Use the comments section on the website!
If you have a question about something, it’s almost guaranteed someone else has the same one too. Let’s not only use this as a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), but also to share recipes and experiences.